Thursday, January 2, 2014

Don’t set the bar too high

Today I will be using the Tao Oracle by Ma Deva Padma. Before I pull my card I want to share my mega find on our Dutch online thrift store. Just before the new year, I had bought five beautiful, as good as new, tarot and oracle decks. The previous owner had only bought them to be a part of her collection and had never used them.  Even the boxes were undamaged. So now I am a very happy woman because right beside me on our dining table I have: The Tao Oracle by Ma Deva Padma, Angeldreams and the Angel Tarot by D. Virtue, Mystical Lenormand by R.E. Fiechter and Ask your Guidies by S. Choquette. And everything far below 50% of the retail price. I feel like I've won the New year’s lottery!!

Tao Oracle
For the second day of this year I've pulled: Duration. In my opinion an excellent card for everybody who is  totally excited to sprint into this year, heavily packed with goals and resolutions. (Myself included J) This card shows us a mountain in four different circumstances. And it’s no surprise to any of us, in each picture the mountain remains the same. This mountain is the perfect symbol for the keywords of this card: constancy, continuity, endurance, perseverance, maturity, strengthening, stability, a deep commitment. And in the end that´s what it´s all about. Not how we start out, which is of course important but also if you can really commit to your goals or whatever it is you want to manifest this new year. Do you have the strength to go on when it gets hard? According to the book it is so important to be aware of your inner core. (inner mountain) That unchangeable everlasting part of you. When you connect to this part, you can endure everything: “The essence of a mountain is stability, a deep and abiding quality that withstands the tests of time.  It is the solidity of rock and the stabilizing function of earth, and it is unequivocally itself.”. Perhaps it is a good idea to search for a symbol of your “inner mountain” to carry with you in your daily life as a talisman. It can be as simple as a pebble as long as it has meaning for you.
Mystical Lenormand
So this is definitely a card for the long run but what does that mean for me today? To answer that question, I drew three lennies from the Mystical Lenormand: house + bear + stars: 
  • My home is my base to grow spiritually.
  • My house is my safe haven where I can explore     new ideas and goals.
  • The love and support of my daughters is a strong   foundation to have hope for the future.

I think I'll pick the second option. Perhaps it is a sound idea to review my goals in order to find out if I haven’t set the bar too high for myself. Sometimes it seems like I do this deliberately so I will fail again and I can beat myself up about it (again). But I can assure you it isn't. It is a common problem for people who are perfectionists. That's why I think it wise to give my lists a closer look to see if I have to adjust my goals in order to be able to stick them when circumstances change.

6 comments:

  1. Ah the Tao Oracle is one of my favorites! Congratulations on your new decks and the deal you got on them. I think you have made a valid and important point for those of us who want to change. Instead of keeping it simple, we put too much stuff in our knapsacks and are panting and out of breath before we even reach the first mile of the journey. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be one of mine too. you've described so vividly I saw myself running uphill with my knapsack on my back :D

      Delete
  2. I love the Tao Oracle! I bought it (allegedly) for my husband several years ago, but then I ended up keeping it for myself. ;) I love the Mountain. It really does make you think of what goals might be more lasting. And it also is a reminder that most things change slowly, over time. Good luck with your goals--have fun with it, reward yourself, and don't beat yourself up!

    XOXO,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MM! I will keep this in mind. Rewarding sounds fun. It is something I usually forget where I am concerned. But this time I will remember :D

      Delete
  3. I love what you write about the stability of the mountain, finding our inner core, and being in for the long haul. Wishing you luck with making your goals manageable and enjoyable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you. My word for this year is Listen. I think by paying attention to ourselves, our stability will improve

      Delete