Wednesday, March 19, 2014

A new deck - The first impressions are so important

In December last year I've written a post where I was praising my most favorite and wonderful tarot deck: the Rider Waite Tarot. In one of my comments I stated I would one day buy myself The Original Rider Waite Tarot and my dear friends that day has come. Yay!!! Yesterday afternoon the postman has delivered this long awaited parcel in my mailbox .
It was so exciting to open it and to feel the cards. There is something about touching and looking at your deck for the first time. (like opening and starting to read a brand new book) The smell of the cards, the silky feel of the lamination. The crisp white borders. Fanning them out and noticing  how the patterns on the back are merging together. The following step is flipping through the deck: one by one you meet your cards. Gently, almost unnoticeable, every card is giving you a first impression. Then the time is right to shuffle your deck. Not rough, but oh so carefully,  piling them up in seven or nine stacks and putting the deck together again.
And then we start talking……..

Okay back to reality. This deck is everything I hoped for. I love the sturdiness of the cards, the lilies and roses on the back and the muted color tones and the soft minty greens. When you place them in a spread, the cards blend together in one beautiful narrative picture. 
OMG, I think I'm in love. This could be the beginning of a long and steady relationship J

21 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new deck. Enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the backs on this deck (so much more than the USG plaid backs). The muted colors are a nice change too. I'll be looking forward to seeing you post some with these! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am eager to start working with it too. I have some other subjects (Ostara) which have to be posted first, but after that I will pick up this gorgeous deck to work with

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your new deck! I'm happy to see you using the good old RWS deck. I have the Radiant RWS because I fancied the bright colours. But the lamination is very glossy and slippery, so shuffling always feels a little odd and they aren't "touchy". I thought to get myself the Original RWS and hope for a rougher lamination which would give the cards a better touch. What about the lamination?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the lamination is definitely mat and not slippery and plastic at all. The cards are sturdy and feel great. They fan out beautifully and they don't stick together.
      I think you would be so pleased with it. Let me know what you think of the deck if you decide to buy it . :)

      Delete
  5. So much fun to get a new deck. I like the look of the original RWS. I have the Universal Waite and do like it but have been thinking about getting the original. Someday maybe. In the meantime, Anna K arrived for me yesterday but I only had time to have a quick look at each card. Can't wait for the weekend and more time with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am absolutely sure you will have a great weekend with this deck. it is so fresh and vibrant !!:D

      Delete
  6. This is probably my favourite deck. It is the one I have gone back to time and again and is the only one I have (out of 100s) which has brown edges now :)

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I will. You have pulled me over the edge to finally but it and not even with this deck but with the Commemorative version. I hope my deck will have those torn edges too one day.:D

      Delete
    2. It's one of the only decks I hear sounds in my head with when I use it - seagulls, the sea, the wind. The other is the St Petersburg tarot.

      Delete
    3. You're such a special sensitive guy! Sometimes I see images while I'm reading cards but mostly it is words and ideas that are popping up in my head.:)

      Delete
  7. This looks really nice! I have the Radiant Rider Waite simply because I really hated the bright yellow coloring in so many of the other versions. But I would actually prefer a version like this, with muted tones…..!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have waited a long time to buy this deck but now I have it I wonder why I've waited so long :D

      Delete
  8. Great, I'd put mine up for sale and now I've got to keep it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It really is beautiful. So much history and symbolism in that deck of cards. I know you will enjoy reading with them and learn a lot from them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Zanna. I am just starting to work with it and so far I am enjoying it very much.

      Delete
  10. I decided to purchase this deck after reading your review and I just love the colors! -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sarah, I hope you will enjoy it as much as I do. In reality it is even more beautiful :)

      Delete