Saturday, June 7, 2014

The Fool – Jumping over the pitfall

For today I've drawn the Fool from the Crystal Visions Tarot. Two days ago I drew its counterpart, The Wanderer from the Wildwood Tarot as an indication of where I could find my Mojo. And as you all know, I did find it. So for today again The fool. I see this as an encouragement to continue on this playful and experimental creative journey. The woman is looking behind her at the flight of the butterflies. She doesn’t notice the she is nearly stepping off a cliff.
Does she take a leap of faith or will she be cautious for possible danger? Making art is all about taking the first step, which is a leap of faith. After that, every brushstroke or pencil line, every color tone is a choice. Making art is about making choices over and over again. Every drawing ,painting or whatever form of art you love is a fool’s adventure. And inherent there is always the danger of asking too much of yourself or taking too great a risk and “fail”. It is also an art to acknowledge failure as a lesson, how to proceed differently the next time.
Yes for me the greatest danger of this card is to be too overconfident. Often when this happens I get stuck in the process or so disappointed with the results, I will put my supplies back again in the closet for months. Though I embrace this spontaneous playful energy I will keep an eye out for potential and well known pitfalls
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." Edwin Land

6 comments:

  1. The huge message here is there is no success without failure. If one doesn't try, one cannot succeed, but there's always failures along the course of travel. Accept the failures and celebrate the successes. Climb over each failure to higher grounds. Best of luck and keep up that humming. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Climb over each failure to higher grounds" I like this image. It is a good one to remember Thanks! :)

      Delete
  2. Hmm, I'm not sure it's overconfidence that is the issue, but rather the expectations we may have of ourselves when we do something. If you can treat it lightly and playfully, flitting onto the next project like a butterfly moving on to the next flower, then you will never fall far, or see failure. One flower's beauty may not be the same as another's, but they all add scent to life :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Expectations, they can be creep up to you without knowing. Momentarily I am working on some experimental stuff with little baby steps. it feels relaxed and it is also a safe way of playing without falling to hard when something doesn't turn out the way I would like
      I love how you've compared this creative process with the flight of the butterflies :)

      Delete
  3. Ellen, great post! I have learned, and really continue to learn, that just when I don't feel like drawing, painting or what ever creative activity, for whatever the reason, this the best time to be creative. I was told this, time and time again, by all of my art teachers. I know it is easier said than done but persevere and be brave!
    Working through the process, and coming out the other side, this is where my most important lessons are learned. It was said to me, just this past Tuesday by one of my instructors, who attended my exhibit of a series of paintings of Jelly Moulds from " Davis Dainty Dishes " an old recipe book from back in the 20s -30s. I told her what a hard time I had painting things that I found ugly. She said, " It's good to paint ugly things. " Now most of these renderings are of rather gross, ugly things, either physically to look at, or just the thought of eating them. I had a heck of a time getting the series completed for my exhibit, because I had been in such a creative slump left over from this Winter and being in a mental funk. But I did it, and feel like a million bucks because I accomplished this important milestone in my life, as an artist to be recognized by my fellow artists and peers, in an exhibit at a gallery.
    I love the Fool. Remember, the Fool does have all the tools needed in the little bag she/he carries on the journey.
    P.S. Before my friend and past teacher left the exhibit she asked me to do a commission..." Tongue Mould " The idea of that...all I can say is ICK! The idea of that one was psychologically for me the worst one. All I could imagine was the memory of seeing a big old cow's tongue laid up on my mother's kitchen counter that she was preparing for supper, which I could never bring myself to eat! But I will get that painting done by next week! It is all part of the lesson...again!
    I'm off to face and fight my own personal Jabberwocky! The dreaded Tongue Mould!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes sense to push yourself. Sometimes a butterflies nudge can be enough sometimes an elephant is needed :D It's like going through the door of fear and find confidence waiting for you on the other side
      I've popped over to your paintings and I can imagine is has been a real challenge but they turned out so beautiful! The commission painting it gross in it's beauty. Even more because of your own memories I think your teacher has given you her final challenge and I am positive you will beat your Jabberwocky :)

      Delete