Thursday, March 17, 2016

Eight of Pentacles – Keep at it

Today’s card is the Eight of Pentacles from the Original Rider Waite Tarot. This card is all about being dedicated to what you are doing and to trying to improve your skills. If we want to get better at something we have to put in time and energy in it and most important the will to begin our practice.
Often the moments before I actually start practicing, whether it is drawing, painting, meditating exercising, you name it, I hear those nagging voices, giving me all sorts of reasons why I shouldn’t do it. Fighting these voices feels like such a waist of energy.  I wonder why we are so often set out to sabotage our own personal growth in the different areas of our life.
This morning I’ve started taking regular morning walks (again). The sun was shining, the world looked bright and fresh.  I took my camera and stepped out the front door. While walking  I noticed how nature was coming to life again. I took some pictures here and there and was contemplating my daily draw. I even noticed I was praying, giving thanks to God(dess) for the beauty of this morning. So besides getter fitter, this walk has given me so much more: some undivided attention to the world around me and the world within.
I suppose it matters a lot what your thoughts are about improving your skills. Are they strict and serious or playful and delighted for this opportunity to better ourselves? Is there room for failure and errors or do you beat yourself up about such things?
Maybe if we would change our thoughts about what we are trying to improve, the voices wouldn’t have so much effect on us and we would have more energy to put into our practice :)

6 comments:

  1. Walking...again :) I am a fair weather walker. I hate being cold and wet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toady it was Sunny. Luckily tomorrow it will be too. I might have to buy and umbrella eventually :)

      Delete
  2. Ahh, to get of our heads and out of own way. To be present in the moment; Life opens up. I need to start my morning walks again now that the weather and season is changing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only after one walk I can wholeheartedly recommend it :)

      Delete
  3. For me to stay committed to anything, there has to be some passion about what I'm doing, some joy and even a bit of a challenge (so I don't get bored :D). I don't ask for much, do I? Heehee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very ingenious delicious recipe to ensure commitment!
      I wouldn't mind having a portion of it myself! :D

      Delete