Monday, April 18, 2016

Theme for the week: Five of Cups

Original Rider Waite Five of Cups
Yesterday I’ve watched Steve’s video :“Weekly Tarot Thoughts” on YouTube and I was intrigued by the fact that he drew a card to establish the theme for the week.  I thought it would be a great idea to try this out for myself.  It could also be a wonderful way to explore one card more in depth and to perceive this card from different angles during the rest of the week. No card it ever  a 100% good or bad.
My theme for this week  is going to be the Five of Cups from the Original Rider Waite tarot. And no, I am not afraid this is going to be a said gloomy week.
The Five of Cups is all about coming to terms with our past and especially the more sad parts of it. For me personally this is a ongoing process. I am not going to digress about my losses, my grief, my pain because I am sure that anyone who reads my blog can relate to this card for everybody has some kind of “Grief list” of their own.
The five of Cups is for me a card who advises me to accept my losses and focus on what it still there for me to enjoy.  It requires a huge effort to turn your head and see the two cups behind you and truly appreciate their content. It is even a greater effort to pick up on of those cups and to sip from it.
But believe me it can be  done and sometimes you can be surprised by how wonderful it tastes
Original Rider Waite Nine of CupsMy daily draw will be the answer on how to approach this theme today and I got the Nine of Cups.
Wow, that’s a lot more cups than the two in the Five of Cups. They are all standing upright and ready to be tasted and/or emptied. For me the Nine of Cups is the wish card and the card of gratitude, so it urges me to focus on what I am grateful for and to try to find out what else would make me truly happy and then wish for it: Making the magic happen. All in all this card is confirmation how important it is to turn around and focus on the good stuff in the here and now with a soft focus on a brighter future (hoping your wish will come true). Since the man is all alone with his cups, this card also touches on the sometimes lonely aspect in regards to  dealing with loss. In my opinion it is often very difficult for others to really empathize what you've been going through and still are going through, so this card is about being kind en gentle to yourself and to really explore what makes you happy.

12 comments:

  1. There is a quote in the AA text that says, "We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it." I think it means that the past holds the things that have shaped us, both good and bad, and show us which direction to move in the future (depending if we want maintain the status quo or change). I love the RWS version because it shows a bridge that we can see both sides from. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am grateful for every experience I've had in my life, for they have made me the woman I am today. Although life hasn't been easy I wouldn't want to be the person I was ten years ago. I think we cannot not change. Sometimes change will be hardly noticeable but little by Little we always will change :)

      Delete
  2. I'd love to meet Steve in person and have a reading :)
    I'll be interested to see how you journal this card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He such a dear guy and a good friend. Yes me too. It all depends which other cards I will draw this week :)

      Delete
  3. My trauma helped me to realize we really don't know what another is going or has gone through. I am not so judgemental anymore and try to give others the benefit of doubt viewed from a lens of compassion. Enjoy your Nine of Cups Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe that experiencing challenging life altering situations does help to become more comapssionate
      Thanks I will!

      Delete
  4. I agree with the idea of gratitude here. He is so sad to have lost three of his cups that he neglects to notice he still has two beautiful cups left. Apparently the Nine of Cups sees it too, pushing that idea of being grateful for what you have. Very interesting so far. I hope you are even further enlightened by your study of the Five of Cups this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really exited about this theme of the week card. I might even add some other decks too to compare the differences between some versions of the five of Cups

      Delete
  5. Oh what a good idea. I think I may join you! Is it too late to draw a card for this week's theme? I've already drawn a card for each day, though I haven't written my blog entries about them yet. I think I'll go draw and see what my 'theme for the week' is. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it is too late. You can always look in hindsight how your daily draws connect to your weekly card.
      Have fun with it!!

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for the reference over to Steve's YouTube. I enjoyed listening to his reading. I also love your results and hope you have a wonderful week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has such a peaceful energy when he talks about the cards. And I love how he talks about the symbolism too
      Thanks you Cher, I hope your week will be a pleasant one too :)

      Delete