Thursday, April 12, 2018

Five of Air - Fear

Vision Quest Tarot Five of Air Fear Jo Dose Blog bloggerToday's card is Five of Air from the Vision Quest Tarot. It's called Fear. When I saw this card my throat tightened and I felt almost immediately my anxiety creeping up on me. How could I write about fear? How could I share the magnitude of the hold it has over me. Fear is my constant companion and my biggest enemy.  It protects me from having to take risks and it prevents me from living a full life. It binds me to home, it lets my paints go to waist. It keeps me from playfully trying but it also prevents me from failing.
The question this card is asking me is how to face and perhaps even befriend my fear. How to coax it gently from de driver's seat to the back seat. Fear should not be seen as an enemy but as a way of learning about possible risks and how to proceed with caution and curiosity. Only when Fear is taking over all other instincts and our will to move forward we have to step up and say: "No more of this!"
Today this card has inspired me to blog and express myself, despite feeling blocked and thinking I have nothing to add to the conversation. I think Fear and I are going to have a serious chat about who is in charge of Ellen...

"Fear keeps us focused on the past or worried about the future. If we can acknowledge our fear, we can realize that right now we are okay. Right now, today, we are still alive, and our bodies are working marvelously. Our eyes can still see the beautiful sky. Our ears can still hear the voices of our loved ones." Thich Nhat Hanh

13 comments:

  1. Knowing our block is surely the first win. Working around it, behind its back is good ;) I can trick and ignore my fears, sometimes. Perhaps the real key is just knowing we aren't the only one. Someone with no fears also has no heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, knowing I am not alone is huge. Thank you Sharyn :)

      Delete
  2. Our thoughts and emotions can be like runaway horses dragging us behind them when we don't question whether they accurately portray reality. Often some memory from the past is triggered, and the mind jumps on it as it the present situation is the same as one years ago. I sometimes have to say out loud: This is just a fearful thought. Good for you in standing up to your fear!
    You might find my latest post on courage helpful:
    https://elementsofrecovery.blogspot.com/2018/04/making-leap.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bev, Yes, it all comes down on being mindful of our thoughts. I will hope over to your other blog right now.

      Delete
  3. I love this very much, my most fears feeling are always around my children sometimes thinking (more like assuming) the worst is just exhausting, definitely I need more discernment and discipline my thoughts. Thank Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my daughters were younger I also feared for there safety a lot. Especially when they reached the age they wanted to go out with friends.
      Somehow they always stay our babies

      Delete
  4. Love this card! My first thought was the bird jumping right in the middle of the conflict of the card, facing the fear. After reading the post and comments, I came back to the image to realize it soars above it all, untouched by the fear.

    This was a wonderful post, and great comments. Thank you for sharing your words. My chatter is definitely just fear attempting to keep me from finding a peaceful state. I raise my glass to you all, "Here's to soaring above the fear, and finding a peaceful place to perch." :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanka Cher. Live is indeed a whole less scary when we look at it from a bird's point a view
      Cheers!

      Delete
  5. Simon and Garfunkel's song "Sound of Silence" and the line 'hello darkness my old friend' speaks to me of the fear that engulfs us sometimes. It is good to share the story of our fears. Brought out into the Light, they are not so bad and can help us out of the fear trap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats one of the reasons I like to blog. To share these things and realize that I'm not the only one who experiences this.
      Writing a blog or writing in a journal is such a healing thing to do.

      Delete
  6. Just this morning I recorded a tapping video on fear, which I'll post on Tuesday. And I've nearly finished a blog post with a Fears Spread and a protection spell. Seems we've been on something of the same wavelength!
    Yes, sometimes fear seems to take charge, but you can take back Ellen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be looking forward to watch and read those Chloe. Thanks for sharing this with me

      Delete
    2. :) Tapping video went up this morning, Ellen. Hope you find it as useful as I have (been doing this for about ten days, now). Spell etc will go up tomorrow, if I get my nose out of the Oracle of the Unicorns for long enough to finish it up :D

      Delete